Friday, July 12, 2013

Will Wearable Technology Turn Us Into Robots?


Technology continues to advance daily and the world is changing.  Some people fight it, others embrace it cautiously, and still others, like me, are addicted to it.  We can't get enough of it.  Turning it off is not an option and, in fact, it makes us anxious to do so.  Just last week on the 4th of July for example, I went to a farm with family to relax and enjoy the weekend.  It was fantastic and I loved everything about it, except for one thing that was lurking the entire time, kicking at my insides and nudging me every time there was a lull in conversation, I had bad signal!

Before you judge me, let me explain that eventually I let go of my anxiety and had a great time.  When I acknowledged my poor signal was adversely effecting my mood, I was able to let it go.  But, I won't lie, I have feared for a long time that there is a day coming when we all cling to technology so much so that we aren't able to connect with reality.   Now however, I see that even my worst fears weren't aimed high enough for what is to come.  It is not people that will cling to technology, but technology that will cling to people.

They are calling it "wearable technology" and it is said to open a $50 billion market.  The ability to put your phone in your pocket - to be out of sight, out of mind - will soon be a thing of the past.  Should we run from it?  Personally, I don't see the point, the world keeps moving whether we close our eyes or keep them open.  So me, I will embrace the new technology like always and hope that I don't turn into a robot.  Those with more means than I, well they'll be the ones with the Apple and Google stock.
http://www.businessinsider.com/wearable-technology-market-2013-5

No comments:

Post a Comment